X

• Filtre
  • Heure
  • Afficher
Tout nettoyer
nouveaux messages

• CME Crude Oil Long term long position

Hi,

I am a long term investor holding long positions for months to years.
    In February 2009, I bought a future CME MINY Crude Oil at around USD 45.5.
    Since February 2009, I rolled my future position several times (selling back the maturing contract and buying the next monthly / quarterly maturity) in order for me to keep my long position over the long term.

Today's price is around USD 77.8 and in theory that would give a P&L of about USD500(77.8-45.5) = USD 16,150.

In reality, my P&L is only around USD 11,200.

Most of the difference between 16,150 and 11,200 is due to the fact I had to roll contracts from one maturity to another, i.e selling back the contract arriving at maturity at a cheaper price than the new contract I was buying. That is because the farer the maturity, the more expensive is the contract and therefore each time I roll, I am "losing" money or more precisely, I am making less money than I should have made, because the price is jumping up for each new maturity.

How can a long term investor keep a long positon in WTI Crude Oil without the disadvantage of losing money each time he is rolling contracts?

I decided to trade WTI Crude Oil using CME MINY futures because futures are a liquid instrument, there is a clearing house, the futures spreads are low and the commissions are low. However the cost or rolling the positions over the long term is ridiculously high!

Is there a more efficient way to invest long term?
    Spead betting is out of question because spread betting companies charge an overnight interest rate each time you carry a long postion overnight and in the long term the cost can be very high.

Trackers / ETFs are issued by banks and there is no clearing house, therefore if the bank goes bust, I lose all my money.

So how should I invest, what investment vehicle should I use?

Thank you.

Any advice would be highly appreciated
    Cheers guys

Commentaire

Jean Claude Van Dame ?

Commentaire

sorry?

Commentaire

any reply?

Commentaire

You can buy oil related stocks( Exxon, Chevron, BP ... ), you can buy ETFs as USO or you can buy further futures directly ( choose your time horizon ) if you don't want to roll.

Commentaire

Chargement...
            X